Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do you understand the sadness of geography?


Do you understand the sadness of geography?  comprises a mixed media installation of fashion items and other personal effects made back in the 1950s by Italian girls for their glory boxes.

It is a lovely little exhibition that was on in Bendigo during March - which closed yesterday.

I fell for the wall of half finished samplers of a variety of stitches by Lella Caridi, I am guessing she stitched nearly 50 years ago.  She calls them her "'unfinished melodies' because I didn't finish them and I didn't pursue it."

Despite not wanting to be a stitcher she kept these works - and I am so very glad she did.  I just love how they are unfinished, wrinkled and stained - for me they are like hope hanging on and hanging on and hanging on.

Apologies in advance for the quality of the images - it is a tricky space to photograph in!








 







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tam - they are beautiful - I'm interested in the title too. It reminds me of those unfinished projects that sit quietly just waiting for their moment....:-)
Sara

sara Hill said...

Hi Tam, they are beautiful, I'm interested in the title too . They remind me of those unfinished works in the garden that somehow get a life of their own beyond what we imagine. :-) Sara

Rochelle said...

Sounds like it would have been a great exhibition to see. x