Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dirty Denim workshop

Verity and I are hosting a series of Dirty Denim workshops.  My first workshop is today with the Smart Arts group with St.Lukes - managed by the wonderful Robbie Buckman.

The aim of the workshops is to introduce play and hand sewing and print making skills to bring new life to reclaimed denim.  I sewed up some denim bags as to make the play create functional items.

The pattern for this came from out of my head - although inspired by previous sewing from Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol.  - Just wait until you see the fantastic bags Verity has in the Dirty Denim exhibition - they are gorgeous!

Last week Verity did some screen printing with the workshop women & also bleach dying - that took me back to year 8 as I spent hours bleaching my cut off jean's in Mum's laundry sink.




Looking forward to the workshop today - embellishing the denim.
Dirty Denim opens today at 6pm at La Trobe University Visual Arts Centre - Verity and I are hosting another workshop this Sunday, which unfortunately is booked out!  However we are hosting a talk in Sustainable Textiles at 2pm on Sunday which you are welcome to come along and join in.

No comments: