Sunday, July 12, 2009

Protecting women's choices


I entered into motherhood guided by other women who supported me to give birth to both my children in my own home.

It was an extra-ordinary experience and has given me a strong bond with my children and family and also great health. - no birthing complications or illness picked up while being in a hospital. As Home Birth Australia say "birth is not an illness".

The picture above is a little bit confronting with its rawness, but it is the moment of the first embrace between myself and my new born son.

Two things are happening in Australia's law and health sector including the Exposure draft of Health Practitioner Regulation National Law 2009 (Bill B) and a Senate Inquiry into Health Legislation Amendment (Midwives and Nurse Practitioners)


What is concerning for midwives who provide the support and resource for women to both at home is the bill does not provide midwives with indemnity cover to attend homebirths.


For more backgound information visit Midwives Victoria blog.

A friend has emailed through a information sheet that you can use to assist making a submission in response to these proposed legislation changes. Please contact me and I can email through to you.

No comments: