Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekly Yoga posture focus: Bhastrika

I really enjoyed having a focus on a yoga asana, and what excuse is there for not doing Viparita Karani at the end of the day - so easy and you feel fantastic coming out of the pose and also a great sleep.

This week I thought I am going to spend a bit more time with a pose that helps to wake up my digestion and inner focus - which has burnt right out after Christmas and all those hot spells. It is a Pranayama Breathing Exercise called Bhastrika or Bellows Breath.
My yoga teacher first taught this breath to me before my first child was born and I haven't thought about it for a long time - I picked up a cheesy looking book from the library called The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga and this was the first pose I read about.

Basically it is really quick breathing in the belly through the nose - puff puff and snort snort. Good blood pumping stuff.


Haha - just found a funny video if you are keen to check out the technique for this breathing - wow it is amazing how spending a little time on focused breathing can help make you feel really great!

In my cheesy yoga book too I found a lovely quote; "If you can cease all restless activity, your integral nature will appear." Lao Tzu

No comments: